Monday, April 16, 2012

It Ain't Half Bad...

I'm not much into stats, but earlier today I was reviewing Birdie Down's progress on Smashwords where it is a free-to-read. I've got to say I'm not disappointed: it's climbing the rankings and now sits at #413 out of a total 1250 or so SciFi freebies available on the site. That's not bad considering I published it only two months ago.

The book averages 4.25 stars and has received four reviews, which range from 'this is the best amateur SF novel I have read' and 'fantastic read' through 'Graham doesn't disappoint' to 'for a book written in 5 weeks, it ain't half bad.' I'm not sure what to make of that last one, but it did go on to say 'it's not something to avoid.' So there you have it. No excuses. It's free, and the worst review so far says there's no reason not to take a look. You can either click the Birdie Down book cover to the left of the page, or use this link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/134591 at zero cost.

For everyone who has (taken a look, that is), many thanks for spending some time with it. I hope you enjoyed it. If you could now post a review you'd be doing me a big favor. I suck at the promo side of the Indie business, and need all the help I can get. Besides, reviews are helpful to other readers, too. Even a Two Star review helps (not sure about One Star though;-) as it shows the reader at least finished the book!

My very hot and humid Malaysian holiday finishes soon. I'll be clearing the miniature ants out of the key board (just got a couple during the previous paragraph) and will crack on again with Petroff's Pogrom. The plot line is gelling, I'm ready to develop a couple of the characters a little further and some scenes are already imagined, so I can't wait.

All I need now is for the markets to behave themselves for a while - and for the day job not to get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment